The Tiwahe Foundation is a resource for giving and strengthens American Indian communities by building capacity through leadership, culture, values, and vision.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age. Adults cannot apply on a minor’s behalf.
- Applicant must be a member of a federally or state-recognized tribe, and must provide proof of tribal lineage – this includes a copy of tribal identification, enrollment or lineage documentation.
- Applicant using a parent’s enrollment documentation must submit a copy of birth certificate verifying relationship between parent & applicant.
- Applicant must reside in the seven-county metropolitan area of Minnesota: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Scott, Ramsey, and Washington Counties.
- Former grantees must have submitted a final report within one year of their grant award date. Past grant recipients are eligible to apply for funding three years after submitting a final report. Previously funded applicants who do not submit a final report are ineligible.
- Applicants applying under the Education Impact area must include a Financial Needs Statement.
- Computer or similar technology requests must include supporting documents showing purchase estimates.
AIFEP does NOT fund:
- Computer or similar technology requests over $1,100
- Payment and/or reimbursement for outstanding bills or bills that have been paid
- Traffic tickets
- Attend Grantee Honoring Event to celebrate accomplishments of program recipients and supporters.
- Submit a final report of accomplishments and expenses within one year from grant award or 60 days of completion of grant purpose.
- Agree to share stories, photographs and/or videos.
Impact Area (examples of past awarded grants):
- Learning Native languages (speaking and understanding)
- Developing kinship ties (learning from family, elders and community members)
- Learning traditional and cultural practices
- Expenses related to college degrees, certificates, vocational training, GED, and/or college entrance exams
- Employment, business, entrepreneurial opportunities and home-ownership.
Health and Wellness
- Expenses related to improving physical and mental health initiatives
- Asset-based learning or business model development related to building a healthy community
- Work in promoting healthy food systems
- Work in promoting traditional tobacco vs.
- Work in (trauma) healing
Selection & Notification
All applicants will receive an email of notification of grant award or declination.
Application deadline submission and notification date:
- February 15th — Notified by March 16
If a deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the following business day becomes the postmark deadline. Early submission of your application is encouraged, but will not be a factor in the committee’s decision.
If you have any questions about how to apply or eligibility please feel free to contact Anthony Drews at email@example.com
Family Empowerment Program Purpose:
To support individuals promoting positive change in their life, family and community; working to be of service to their community, connected to their culture and to have their potential realized.
The Final Report is intended to help us learn from your grant experience and demonstrate the importance of this program and how it helps individuals attain educational achievement, economic self-sufficiency and preserving and renewing cultural connections.