The Tiwahe Foundation is a resource for giving and strengthens American Indian communities by building capacity through leadership, culture, values, and vision.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age. Adults cannot apply on a minor’s behalf.
- Applicant must be a member of a federally or state-recognized tribe, and must provide proof of tribal lineage – this includes a copy of tribal identification, enrollment or lineage documentation.
- Applicant using a parent’s enrollment documentation must submit documentation verifying relationship between parent & applicant.
- Applicant must reside in the seven-county metropolitan area of Minnesota: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Scott, Ramsey, and Washington Counties.
- Past grant recipients are eligible to apply for funding 18 months after completion of their American Indian Family Empowerment Program grant period.
- Applicants applying under the Education Impact area must include a Financial Needs Statement.
- Budget items should include supporting documents showing purchase estimates.
AIFEP does NOT fund:
- Disaster relief
- Attend Grantee Honoring Event to celebrate accomplishments of program recipients and supporters.
- Submit a final report of accomplishments and expenses within one year from grant award or 60 days of completion of grant purpose.
- Agree to share stories, photographs and/or videos.
Impact Area (examples of past awarded grants):
- Learning Native languages (speaking and understanding)
- Developing kinship ties (learning from family, elders and community members)
- Learning traditional and cultural practices
- Expenses related to college degrees, certificates, vocational training, GED, and/or college entrance exams
- Employment, business, entrepreneurial opportunities and home-ownership.
Health and Wellness
- Expenses related to improving physical and mental health initiatives
- Asset-based learning or business model development related to building a healthy community
- Work in promoting healthy food systems
- Work in promoting traditional tobacco vs.
- Work in (trauma) healing
Selection & Notification
All applicants will receive an email of notification of grant award or declination.
Application deadline submission and notification date:
Postmarked by: March 15th — Notified by April 16th
If you have any questions about how to apply or eligibility please feel free to contact Anthony Drews at email@example.com